Mumbai Building Tragedy: Tragic Fire in Mumbai Building: Seven Lives Lost, Dozens Injured
In the early hours of Friday, a devastating fire erupted at a seven-story residential building located in the Mumbai suburb of Goregaon West, resulting in seven fatalities and leaving 40 individuals injured, with five in critical condition. The incident, which occurred around 3:05 am, led to significant casualties and extensive property damage, involving nearly 51 people.
The fire originated on the building’s second level, rapidly spreading through various establishments on the ground floor, including shops, scrap materials, parked vehicles, meter cabins, rags, plywood, and other combustible materials. It also extended to the staircase and household items such as doors, windows, and furniture, affecting approximately 2000 square feet of space. Consequently, occupants were trapped on different floors, including the terrace.
Here are the latest updates on the tragic incident:
- Injured Victims: Out of the 40 injured, 36 have been admitted to the Hindu Hriday Samrat Balasaheb Thackeray Medical College (HBT) hospital, while 15 are receiving treatment at Cooper Hospital. Three severely injured patients were transferred to Seven Hills Hospital.
- Victims Profile: The victims include two minors, three women, and one man.
- Building’s Lack of Safety Measures: Chief Fire Officer Ravindra Ambulgekar disclosed that the building, constructed in 2006 under the Slum Rehabilitation scheme, lacked a fire fighting system. The outdated lift system facilitated the spread of smoke throughout the building.
- Location of the Fire: The fire was initially reported at Jay Bhavani building, situated on MG Road in Goregaon.
- Firefighters’ Efforts: Firefighters battled the blaze for nearly four hours, finally extinguishing it around 6:54 am. A significant response team, including eight fire engines, five jumbo water tankers, three automatic turntables, one turntable ladder, a quick response vehicle and an ambulance, was dispatched to the scene. Ladders and Breathing Apparatus Sets (BA Sets) were crucial in the rescue operations.
- Presence of Authorities: Multiple authorities and personnel were present, including the Deputy Chief Fire Officer, District Fire Officer, Assistant Divisional Fire Officer, three Senior Station Officers, three Station Officers, Assistant Commissioner, and officials from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, along with NGO personnel.
- Maharashtra’s Deputy Chief Minister, Devendra Fadnavis, expressed his condolences and assured assistance to the affected families through a statement on social media: “Pained to know about the loss of lives in the fire incident at Goregaon, Mumbai. We are in touch with BMC & Mumbai Police officials, and all the assistance is being provided. My deepest condolences to the families who lost their loved ones and wishing a speedy recovery to the injured ones.”
- Vidya Thakur, MLA of Goregaon, stated that the exact cause of the fire was yet to be determined and that efforts were ongoing to provide relief to affected families. She remarked, “The reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained. Due to prevailing smoke, people could not get out of the building and they moved to the terrace. Seven deaths are confirmed as of now. Efforts are underway to provide relief to affected families.”The Ultimate Guide to Successful Weight Loss:
- Some witnesses and relatives of victims speculated that a short circuit triggered the fire. One relative explained, “Our family members and relatives were there. My aunt has died. short circuit occurred at around 1:30 am, and then the fire spread… The fire spread to the 7th floor… From our family, one dead body is with them, they said they will hand it over in an hour.”Another victim’s relative revealed the shock of discovering the fire hours later, saying, “We came to know about the fire at 8 am… When we came and checked here, we came to know that my sister-in-law and a daughter from our family had died… A lot of people have been injured, and two people from my family have died.”
Actor Manish Chaturvedi, an eyewitness to the incident, recounted their experience, stating, “There was a burning smell in the air while we were asleep last night, and that’s how we came to know that a fire had broken out in the neighboring building. We immediately took precautions in our building complex and informed the fire services.”